Small balconies are often overlooked as prime living spaces. If you’re lucky enough to have one, this essential guide is just for you! Here, you’ll find creative solutions to transform your small balcony into a stylish and functional outdoor oasis. From space-saving furniture to lush greenery and multi-functional accessories, it’s easy to make the most out of your little slice of outdoor heaven. Discover how to maximize your balcony with our essential guide to transforming small balconies.
1. Maximize Your Balcony’s Usability
- Spider plants
- English ivy
2. Make the Most of Your Balcony’s Natural Elements
If you’re lucky enough to have a balcony, you can maximise its potential with some simple adjustments. Here are some ideas for how to :
- Let Nature In – Bring nature to the balcony with plants, trees, shrubs and flowers. Hanging pots and wall-mounted planters are perfect for greens, cacti and succulents, and small raised beds can give you the opportunity to grow some veggies.
- Create an Outdoor Oasis – Add furniture and cushions for a more comfortable seating area, or bring the indoors out with a folding table and chairs for alfresco dining. Design with light – string lights, table lamps and pendant lighting for a soft, cheerful glow.
- Enjoy the Great Outdoors – With the right elements, the balcony can become an outdoor retreat. On a sunny day, a hammock or rocking chair offer a great spot for a nap or some leisurely reading. During summer nights, invite your friends over a barbeque - dusk often brings a refreshing breeze.
Whatever design you choose, always remember to take advantage of the size and shape of your balcony. With a few pieces of furniture and some natural elements, your outdoor space will be a tranquil oasis.
3. Appeal to Your Senses with Decor
Balconies are often overlooked spaces due to their cramped size and awkward, often overlooked layout. But with a little hard work and some creative ideas, you can transform your balcony into a captivating living space. Here are some essential tips to get you started:
- Incorporate Color, Texture and Patterns: Play with bright colors and lively patterns to create a visual focal point in your balcony. Use vibrant patterned pillows and blanket, throw a rug over the balcony floor, string up potted plants and fairy lights along the railing.
- Keep Things Light and Airy: Place a low-lying side table and chairs in the balcony, then add voluminous curtains to the railing to complete the atmosphere of relaxation. Not only does this add to the overall look of the balcony, it also serves to keep the space cozy when temperatures drop.
- Add Ambience with Lighting: Bring some fireflies into yourou balcony with LED string lights, which provide both color and a flowing aesthetic. Add in a few romantic candles and some gently lit wall sconces to complete the look.
- Go Green: Bring additional life to your balcony by adding potted plants. Group them together near the railing to create a garden feel, and don’t forget to allot space for a tiny herb patch.
With these simple design tips, you’ll be able to create a calming, refreshing outdoor atmosphere for your balcony. Be off to get started, and make your balcony a place for peace and relaxation.
4. Utilize Complementary Outdoor Furniture
Bring a touch of nature to your balconies with complementary outdoor furniture. Look beyond the traditional chairs and tables and create a unique corner for yourself right in your own home. Incorporate some hanging furniture pieces and create a space that looks cozy and inviting:
- Hammocks: Add a hammock to transform your balcony into a tranquil area to relax and soak in nature’s beauty. This is the perfect place to enjoy your morning tea or night sky.
- Swing Chairs: Add a sense of movement to your balcony with hanging swing chairs. Whether it’s a traditional wooden or more modern steel option, these make a great addition to your balcony.
- Hanging Egg Chairs: Make your balcony feel like a luxury retreat with these hanging egg-shaped chairs. These chairs come with a cushion for added comfort and create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
- Hanging Table: Hang a table from your balcony to add a unique element to your outdoor space. It is possible to find a wall-mounted table that can easily hold your food and drinks. This allows you to enjoy meals outside without having to worry about where to place your things.
Choose wicker or rattan furniture to add a traditional touch to your balconies. These materials are lightweight and perfect for small spaces. Look for furniture with interesting patterns and colors to add a touch of your own style to the balcony.
Your balcony can be more than just a place for plants and flowers. Transform it with the right furniture pieces to create an outdoor corner that you can enjoy anytime you want.
5. Create an Inviting Atmosphere with Lighting
- Choose a Focal Point – Lighting can add loads of character to your balconies. Designer fixtures or task lighting accentuate the focal point of your balconies and create a welcoming atmosphere. Identify what creates the focal point in your space and decide on a designer light fixture or a grouping of fixtures to make it stand out.
- Pick Soft Light – You don’t want to create an overbearing atmosphere on your balconies. Soft light helps in creating a calm and inviting mood. Choose bulbs with a warm glow or opt for uplighting to add drama and make your balconies look visually interesting.
- Consider Outdoor Lighting – You can also change up your space with ambient lighting. Suitable outdoor lighting will increase the inviting quotient and lend the perfect look and feel to your balconies. You can pick fixtures that will help in highlighting specific areas.
- Stay Creative – Think beyond the conventional and look for ways to incorporate unique lighting fixtures. Get creative with your ideas and pick dynamic and energetic lighting options that brighten up your balconies and make a statement.
- Have Fun With It – Lighting is a great way to add your personal touch and have fun with styling. Sources of light such as paper lanterns, candles, and string lights are great options that can give you a highly Instagrammable setup for your balconies.
By applying these simple ideas, you can transform your small balconies into aesthetically pleasing and inviting outdoor spaces. Keep experimenting with colors, patterns, and textures to create the perfect mood you’re looking for. Happy styling!
6. Use Patio Covers and Wind Breaks
When you want to transform your small balconies or patios into a usable, enjoyable living and entertaining space, patio covers and wind breaks are essential elements.
- Patio covers – Patio covers are a great way to protect your outdoor living area from extreme weather elements like rain, wind, and sunlight. Not only do they provide protection from unwanted pests and weather, but they also come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and materials to match any aesthetic.
- Wind breaks – To keep the hot summer winds from overpowering your relaxing outdoor space, consider setting up wind breaks. Constructed from wood or plastic lattice, they provide visual appeal and privacy while offering protection from strong winds.
Make sure you choose a patio cover and wind break that not only provides the desired aesthetic but will also last for a long time. Both items should be regularly inspected and maintained for structural integrity and functionality.
Installing patio covers and wind breaks will help to keep your outdoor space comfortable, functional, and stylish for many years to come.
7. Don’t Forget Privacy Features
- Ensure Privacy: One of the essential parts of furnishing a small balcony is to increase the privacy. Choose curtains, shutters, metal or bamboo screens to close off the space and keep your neighbours from peeking in. Add an awning or balcony roof to offer extra protection and shade.
- Think About Proximity: If you live in a densely packed apartment building, keep in mind that sound travels easily between neighbouring balconies and apartments. When selecting furniture or accessories, make sure they don’t come in contact with the walls of your neighbour’s balcony.
- Focus On Quality: Invest in high-quality materials and sturdy furniture. It will provide you with both style and privacy. Choose materials that are available in neutral colors and dark hues that are suitable for small balconies to add a touch of opulence and privacy to the area.
- Choose Lighting Wisely: Install low wattage lighting to create a more relaxed atmosphere and ensure that it’s securely fastened to the wall. If you can’t fix it directly, use low wattage lamps. Plus, privacy is enhanced with natural lighting that won’t peep into the neighbour’s space.
8. Enjoy the Benefits of Plants and Greenery
Bringing plants into your small outdoor spaces can open up incredible possibilities and transform them into oases of relaxation and greenery. Below is an essential guide for anyone looking to bring some life to their balconies:
- Remember aesthetics: Start by thinking how you want to create a cohesive look. Adding plants to the mix will naturally create visual interest and depth.
- Create your own mini garden: Trailing plants in baskets will climb up walls and railing, creating a lush effect. Position galvanized containers with soil and succulents in eye-catching arrangements.
- Choose plants carefully: Pick plants that are easy to grow and that don’t require much maintenance. For small balconies, herb gardens are great choice for aromatic atmospheres!
- Remember the sunshine: Most plants require a lot of sun exposure to thrive, so give them optimal light exposure facing south or west. If you found plants in the shade of a wall, make sure to monitor them.
- Plan for containers: Determine and plan for where and how you’ll place planters and positions for vertical hanging baskets. If you lack floor and railing space, you can think about planting your balcony with hanging flower pots.
- Reuse household items: Finally, for an interesting twist, and a touch of personality to your balcony, why not upcycle kitchen or bathroom items to plant into?
By following these steps, you’ll transform leafy and peaceful outdoor entertaining areas. Adding plants to balconies above can also bring natural color, air filtration and plenty of other benefits.
9. Add Accessories and Finishing Touches
Now that you’ve seen the spaces transformed and have spurred some ideas into motion, it’s time to add the finishing touches and accessories to create the ultimate balcony. Here are some ideas to consider:
- String lights. Perfect for adding a cozy atmosphere to your balcony, you can hang strings of fairy lights or drape vintage globe sconces easily over a railing or along walls.
- Outdoor rugs. Bring some warmth and comfort with a cute outdoor rug. From geometric patterns to neutral shadem, find something that matches your balcony’s color palette to offer a splash of style.
- Plants and flower pots. Add vibrancy and life with a few plants and flower pots. You can hang a planter box from the railings of your balcony, or you can add a few potted plants that fit in your space.
- Furniture. Complete the space and add a hint of style with small furniture pieces. Invest in seating, lounge chairs, and even ottomans that will fit perfectly in the area; depending on the size, add one or two pieces.
- Accessories. Instead of leaving the balcony bare, add trinkets and accessories that give it something extra. This could be anything from a small table, wind chimes, an umbrella for shade, and much more.
These ideas are only the beginning of what you can do to decorate your balcony. As you decide on which pieces to add, keep the feel of the space in mind. Remember, your balcony is an extension of your home, so both comfort and design should remain at the front of your mind.
With these essential tips, you’ll be able to quickly and easily transform any small balcony into a beautiful and enjoyable outdoor destination. With the ability to lounge, entertain, and relax, balconies of any size can be the perfect outdoor escape.