Combining multiple rugs to create layers in your home decor gives dimension, texture, and character. Layering area rugs is an easy and effective way to add charm into any room. By juggling pattern and colors, you can create an eye-catching and welcoming aesthetic while blending two or more carpets together. Let’s explore the various styles and tips on how to masterfully layer rugs for decor dimension.
How to Create Decor Dimension
Is your space looking a little flat? Do you want to add depth and bring your living room, bedroom, or hallway to life? Layering rugs is the perfect way to do it. From classic oriental weaves to striped modern designs, layering rugs is easy with these helpful tips.
The Benefits of Layering Rugs
- More Color and Patterns – Create a unique and personalized look by combining colors and designs in your layered rugs.
- Greater Texture – Add interest by layering a furry rug with a flat-weave carpet to a create an inviting and tactile feeling in any room.
- Easy to Change Up – Need a change? Easily move around or replace rugs to create a completely different look.
- Softens Hardwood Floors – Layer rugs over hardwood or tile flooring to add extra warmth and acoustics to any room.
Materials for Best Layering Experience
- Wool or cotton are the most popular and best materials to use for layering rugs.
- Natural fibers are recommended for areas that will see a lot of traffic.
- Synthetic fibers such as polypropylene are a great option for low-traffic areas.
- For a playful and soft look, thicker or shag rugs are a fun choice.
Layering Rugs Tips
Keep these tips in mind when layering rugs for an eye-catching and stylish look:
- Make sure the size and scale of the rugs are in proportion and balance with the space.
- The shapes of the rugs should complement one another.
- Choose rugs with varying colors or patterns to create visual interest.
- Consider the placement of furniture before layering rugs to ensure they do not look awkward when out of place.
- Remember, layering rugs will also add warmth to the space.
With these tips, you can make a bold statement in any room of your home and jazz up your decor with the added dimension of layered rugs.
2. Benefits of Layer Rugs in Decorating
Layering rugs can be a great way of creating multiple looks and dimensions in the home design. When added thoughtfully, an area rug or two can provide significant benefits, from warmth, colour, texture and pattern to finish the look of the room.
- Different colours and prints: Adding a layer of rugs enables to pick and contrast different colours and patterns. This can create a free-spirited look or a classic style.
- Layer Comfort and Style: Adding one or two layered rugs over an existing rug can provide extra comfort and style.
- Creates an Illusion: Layering rugs also creates an illusion of space. The addition of the second layer changes the perception of the room and can make it look bigger than it actually is.
- Cost Effective: Layering rugs is also an excellent cost-effective option to rug-up large areas in the home.
As an alternative to direct wall to wall carpet, layered rugs offer many advantages. Perfect for the bedroom, living room and home office, layering rugs offer an attractive way to add softness, warmth and character without breaking the budget.
3. Types of Rugs to Layer
With the right pieces, layering rug can add instant style and dimension to a room. Whether you want to introduce a playful look or make a subtle statement, layering rugs can do the trick.
1. Natural Fibers – Natural fibers come in a variety of textures – jute, hemp, sisal, bamboo, and woven wool or cotton. In addition to being eco-friendly, they bring a sense of modernity and organic tranquility to a room. Try arranging a large area rug with a smaller, finer rug centered on top for added comfort.
2. Flatweaves – Flatweaves are thin and work well with furniture due to their low pile depth. Flattened down and woven tightly, they bring a minimally modern composition to a space, and can often be reversible with different textures on each side. Mixing and matching dyes and textures is also a great way to make a bold statement.
3. Velvets – If you’re looking to add a sense of luxury and texture, go for a high-pile velvet rug. Classic stylings such as Persian knotting, viscose, and North African shags offer softness and comfort, and come in deep, rich hues. Experiment with colors, patterns, and sizes to blend together while adding a special touch to a room.
4. Tips for Arranging Layer Rugs
When decorating a room, layering multiple rugs is a great way to enhance the design and create more dimension. Here are a few tips to consider when layering rugs:
- Pick a Theme: Choose a common color, pattern and texture that ties all the rugs together for a cohesive look.
- Know your Rugs: Make sure you know the material of each of your rugs so you can arrange them in a way that won’t damage or break them.
- Match Sizes: Aim for one larger rug that serves as the main one and one or two smaller rugs to accent it.
When laying down the rugs, start with the biggest one first, then layer one or two smaller ones to create contrast. Be sure to play around with the placement of the rugs, as well as their sizes, taking into account the size of the room and the other decor items in the room. If the rugs have a bold pattern, make sure to separate them with a few feet in between.
Finally, don’t be afraid to try new and creative ideas. Play with new textures and patterns every once in a while to maintain a fresh look. For instance, you could introduce texture into the room by layering two rugs of different textures.
5. Finishing Touches for Layered Rug Decor
Once the main rug is down and anchored in place, it’s time to bring in the dynamic visuals. With a bit of decorative creativity, and maybe a few more dollars in the budget, finishing touches to layering rugs for decor dimension can be achieved.
Add Some Texture – Rugs from different materials mix and contrast to create a head-turning design. Look for natural materials like jute, or wool, depending on your own choice of durable or softer textures. These can be small and simple, allowing the focal rug to take the spotlight.
Keep It Coordinated – Layering rugs don’t need to be exact replicas, but still hold a subtle theme. Similar colors, or even a repeated pattern, work together to create a unified vision without being too matchy-matchy.
Set The Tone – An unexpected detail, like a patterned runner, can grant an overall mood to a space. Quirky, modern, classic, whatever the style, make sure the runner rug remains a cohesive part of the whole.
Layer for Interest – Visual interest is created by stacking several sizes, shapes, and colors together. This method is wonderful for creating nooks, or defining areas that might not already be defined by wall placement. It adds warmth and character to an otherwise plain area.
Deliberate layering of rugs can elevate the interior design of any home. Balance between focal pieces and complementary rugs create a cohesive atmosphere that is easily enjoyed by both guests and owners.
6. Getting Creative with Layer Rugs in Decor
Layering rugs has become a popular trend in interior design. Creating depth and dimension within a room, rugs come in a variety of shapes, sizes, textures, and patterns. A well-layered rug setup can bring out the character of a space and add a unique touch to your decor. Here are some tips for layering rugs like a pro and getting more creative with layer rugs in decor:
- Play with different textures. By teaming up different materials, you can achieve an interesting mix of textures. From luxurious flokati to high-quality leather, use a rug as the base layer and then add a texture of your choice as the second layer.
- Experiment with different shapes. Have fun with different shapes. Round and square rugs are the perfect foundation for an intriguing layered look. Consider adding a swirled pattern or an abstract piece to the base layer. You can also add a vintage rug for a unique touch.
- Mix and match colors. To add visual interest to the space, use a color scheme that is complimentary. You can play around with bold and neutral colors, or even create a gradient effect with different hues.
- Consider the size.The size of the rug is essential. If the rug is too small it can make your room look cluttered, whereas a larger size can unify your space in a unique way.
With the right approach and a bit of creativity, you can make a statement with your layers. By combining textures, colors, and sizes, you have ample freedom to customize your room and give it a unique touch.
Layering rugs is an affordable, simple way to add texture and layering to your space. With the ability to mix and match colors, textures, and any other decor element, the possibilities are endless. Layering rugs gives you the opportunity to express your unique style and bring your design aesthetic to life. Whether you’re creating a timeless classic, or a fun and contemporary look, the creativity is up to you. With some creativity and imagination, you can find the perfect combination of rugs to create a beautiful space that’s completely your own.