Bring the rustic look of the countryside to your home by adding a few unique touches. From repurposed barn doors to exposed beams, the trend of rustic revival is here to stay. Discover the appeal of a cozy yet polished touch that will bring a unique charm to your home.
1. History Behind Rustic Revival
Rustic Revival has a history of incorporating charming designs into homes that evoke the feel of a cozy rustic cabin. This design style embraces the natural beauty of wood, stone, and other natural materials. Exposed beams and support posts, wide wood floors, and reclaimed wood walls are all iconic features. Not to mention, the popularity of barn door installations is a modern spin on the classic theme.
The classic ‘lodge look’ is perhaps the growth area in this style. Textured neutrals, plaids, and tweeds make up the palette of fabrics, and stone, cedar, and native pine timbers the look inside. For decor, hunting & fishing items look right at home, along with art created from natural elements and log furniture. Vintage accents will add to the rustic feel, such as latched door hardware, antique candlesticks, and even scrapbooks from the 20s and 30s.
This style is also great for outdoor living spaces. A wood-burning fireplace, rustic pergola, and lights make for comfort and inviting atmosphere. Natural surfaces like patina metal, stone, and rustic wood provide a sophisticated backdrop. And, of course, the barn door look is ideal for those who love the traditional design.
Whether you are looking to update an existing space or create a new one, Rustic Revival is an easy way to instantly create atmosphere that is warm and inviting. Embrace the natural beauty of wood, stone, and other natural materials to create a unique space that’s sure to please.
2. Benefits of Rustic Revival Design
Rustic revival design is an interior style characterized by natural materials and textures. Neutral colors and rugged weathered accents are typical, with each element adding elements of warmth and comfort. From cozy living rooms to modern kitchens, this style can seamlessly fit any home.
1. Reclaimed Elements
One of the core benefits of the rustic revival design style is that it allows you to incorporate reclaimed elements. Old wood, antique metals, and aged stone are all excellent choices for furniture, accents, and even wall decor. The combination of these elements creates a truly unique and interesting space.
2. Cozy Comfort
The rustic revival style is all about creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Natural textures such as wood and stone lend the room a rustic and inviting atmosphere, while the neutral colors and modest furnishings add a sense of warmth and comfort.
3. Lower Cost
Rustic revival design is a great way to achieve a vintage look without breaking the bank. Reclaimed materials are typically much cheaper than buying all new furniture and accents, and you can often find second hand items in great condition at flea markets or online.
The beauty of the rustic revival style lies in its flexibility. Whether you are looking to create a modern kitchen or a cozy living room, the rustic revival style can be adapted to fit any look. Plus, its timeless design ensures it will never go out of style.
3. Popular Elements of Rustic Revival
Barn doors featuring rustic designs and exposed woodbring a hint of country style into any home. This classic and vintage piece can become the focal point of your living room or bedroom – adding a classic country vibe. Often, the barn door is left with its natural wood-grain, but can be customized with paint colors to match any interior style. Hang it directly to the wall or install it with a double-sliding set.
Exposed wooden beams also play an integral role in the rustic revival style. This eye-catching architectural element delivers a sense of warmth and natural texture to any space. Shelves, soffits, mantles, wall accents, and coffered ceilings are among some of the most popular options to add wood beams to. Try to get your hands on reclaimed beams for an even more true authentic look.
Fieldstone and rough-cut natural stone are also popular additions to the rustic revival look. These materials helpintegrateyour outdoor surroundings to the interior of your home. Natural stone can be used with fireplace surrounds, counters, flooring, columns, walls, and mantles. Fieldstone, in particular, has textural inconsistencies that bring a unique and rustic character.
Other elements of the rustic revival style include:
- Distressed wood surfaces
- Shingled roofs
- Whimsical light fixtures
- Antique furniture
- Cozy wool rugs
4. Ideas for Incorporating Rustic Revival into Your Home Decor
Reinvigorate your home with a timeless classic – rustic revivals. This versatile look revitalizes a space with a cozy, natural ambiance. Here are some ideas to bring rustic revival into your home decor:
- Barn Doors: Rustic barn doors instantly revamp an interior and create a stylish transition from one room to the next. Alternatively, you may opt to use barn doors as wall art to break up an otherwise featureless wall.
- Exposed Beams: Strengthen a room’s rustic character with the help of exposed beams. Whether they’re natural or faux, this decorative detail instantly adds charm to any space.
- Plaid Fabrics: Add a splash of color and texture to your décor with plaid fabrics. Try coordinating different plaids for a chic, layered look or go monochrome with the same hues for an elegant touch.
- Antiques and Collectibles: Incorporate vintage pieces to enhance an existing scheme. From helmets to bottles, unique finds add an interesting and refreshing twist.
- Raw Materials: Create a center of attention in the room by using locally sourced raw materials. Consider organic materials like wood, stone, and metal, for character and texture.
Incorporating rustic elements brings a certain charm and character to any interior. With the right combination, you can transform any space and make it truly yours.
5. Tips for Selecting the Right Rustic Style Furnishings
When developing the perfect rustic space, the furnishings are a key determination in achieving the desired look. Here are 5 .
- Antique Pieces: Embrace mix & match and let the character of your rustic look come through with one-of-a-kind antique pieces. Choosing pieces that have been repurposed gives your space a unique charm.
- Reclaimed Materials: Reclaimed materials such as wood and metal can create a rustic atmosphere in any home. Reclaimed items give a sense of history to a room.
- Unique Shapes: Unusual shapes such as barrels and trunks are the perfect choice for furnishing rustic spaces. It is possible to find some great pieces at flea markets, second-hand shops, and antique stores.
- Mounted Items: Another great way to add a rustic touch to your space is to mount items on the walls or ceiling. Shelves, animal antlers, and hides can be mounted for a perfect rustic finish.
- Natural Elements: Natural elements such as stones, wood, and leather are essential for rustic design. Include all of these materials for the perfect rustic look.
6. Strategies for Working with Designers to Achieve Rustic Revivals
1. Reclaimed Materials – Working with designers to accomplish a rustic revival can start by incorporating reclaimed materials into the design. This could include wood recovered from old barns, or terracotta tiles from 17th century homes. Reclaimed elements will provide a unique and textured backdrop to the design, giving each room a truly unique and authentic feel that could not be duplicated by newer materials.
2. Natural colors and textures - A rustic looks is best captured with natural colors and textures. Try to avoid bright colors and flashy patterns, and instead incorporate neutral tones like beige and brown, as well as natural textures like wood and metal. This will create a natural and harmonious look that complements the rustic feel.
3. Unique Furniture and Decorations – For a truly authentic rustic look, incorporate furniture and decorations that have been handmade or crafted with traditional materials. This can include hand-carved cabinets, woven baskets, and so on. These elements will help bring out the rustic charm desired in the revival.
4. Use Natural Light – Letting natural light into the interior is very important for achieving a rustic look. Light fixtures too modern or flashy will ruin the effect. Instead, install windows and skylights, and use sheer curtains to help capture the sunlight. This will add depth and warmth to the interior, helping to capture a true rustic feel.
5. Barn Doors – Barn doors are great for creating a rustic look, as they bring the atmosphere of a ranch into a modern home. The contrast between the two styles creates a unique design. Plus, barn doors can be used to divide space, making them functional as well as aesthetic.
6. Exposed Beams – Exposed beams are often found in rustic style homes and they bring a feeling of history and authenticity. They are also a great way to provide aesthetic value to the design. However, exposed beams should be handled carefully to ensure the construction and safety of the home
7. Finishing Touches for Rustic Revivals
From a modern farmhouse to a cozy cabin, rustic-style spaces have a timeless appeal, and with some fun finishing touches, these interiors can become even more inviting. Here are 7 ideas for your rustic revival:
- Barn Doors: Barn doors make a statement and add an authentic rustic vibe to any space. With different colors, materials, and sizes available, they can be a great way to customize or blend with the rest of your decor.
- Exposed Beams: Show off rafters, joists, or wood beams with exposed ceilings, and you’ll create a warm and inviting atmosphere. Depending on the look you’re going for, there are modern options such as stained and polished wood beams, as well as traditional designs such as shiplap beams.
- Vintage Hardware: Adding vintage-style hinges, door knobs, and light switches is a great way to bring character and charm to a room. You can find traditional knobs, industrial handles, or distressed wood pulls all of which can contribute to a cozy rustic feel.
- Rustic Lighting: There is something special about the warm, calming glow of rustic lighting. Choose the style that is best suited to your interior theme, whether it is a vintage Edison bulb, iron chandelier, rope cage pendant, or wooden wall sconces.
- Wood-Panel Walls: Wall panels come in all shapes, styles, and sizes and are a great way to add texture and style to any wall. If you want a classic look, choose unfinished hardwood that you can polish and stain as you please or stick to a painted finish for a more modern look.
- Fabric Accents: Textiles such as wool blankets or burlap table runners can match a rustic look perfectly. Choose eye-catching colors or neutral hues, and a mix of different textures, such as wool, jute, or cotton to achieve a cozy atmosphere.
- Decorative Elements:To add rustic charm to your space, try decorating with antiques, old signs, or natural elements such as tree stumps or lanterns. These can add that extra layer of character an intimate ambience to your space.
These ideas are great for giving your space a cozy and welcoming rustic feel. Be creative, and add a little bit of your own special touch to create a truly unique atmosphere.
Bringing barn doors and exposed beams into your home can give it an exciting visual twist while still maintaining a rustic charm. Whether you’re an avid collector of antiquities or a fan of modern interior design, rustic revivals are sure to take your home to the next level. Now, power up your screwdriver and get to work on that barn door!